Blepharitis, or Eyelid Margin Disease, is a common, chronic condition characterized by inflammation of the eyelids. It may cause symptoms including:
- Mattering, crusting, flaking, or “stickiness” of the eyelids noticed most often upon awakening
- Eye and eyelid irritation
- Stinging and burning of the eyes
- Gritty or sandy sensation of the eyes
- Redness of the eyes and/or eyelids
- Sensitivity to light
- A desire to frequently rub the eyes
This condition may occur more commonly if you have a tendency toward oily skin, dandruff, rosacea, or dry eyes. Blepharitis may occur for different reasons either due to thickening of the oil secretions produced by the meibomian glands within the eyelids or due an overabundance of bacteria at the base of the eyelashes. Both situations lead to chronic inflammation and may require treatment with warm compresses, regular washing of the eyelids, as well as various prescription eye medications.
If you have noticed any of the symptoms mentioned above, contact us today so that we may help relieve the symptoms of this chronic condition.