Retinal health is necessary for good vision, and at West Michigan Eye & Laser we use state-of-the-art technology in all of our retinal evaluations which can help in the early detection of ocular problems. The retina is a thin light sensitive nerve tissue at the back of the eye that controls how images are viewed. This is where images are focused and converted to electrical impulses, which are carried to the brain by the optic nerve.
The following are diseases and possible conditions of the retina:
• Age-Related Macular Degeneration – a leading cause of blindness
• Diabetic Retinopathy – a diabetic complication
• Posterior Vitreous Detachment – a common cause of flashes and floaters
• Retinal Detachment – when the retina is lifted from its normal position
• Macular Hole/Pucker – a retinal defect in the macula
• Retinitis Pigmentosa – an inherited retinal disorder affecting peripheral and night vision
If you have questions or concerns about your retinal health, please contact us to schedule an examination.